February 13, 2012

What causes happiness?

I was watching Mad Men the other day and the lead character mentioned that the key to advertising is happiness.

That really caused my mind to wonder.

In general, "What is happiness."

Is it different for every person? Or are there some human commonalities?

And then I started to think, "What makes me happy?"

What components exist in the life of someone who is truly happy?

My current title is "Human Connection Consultant." I have chosen this title because I believe one of the commonalities we all share in life is that we would have happiness if we felt like our connection with other people was at its optimal level. Those people could be spouses, friends, kids, parents, coworkers, bosses, and even strangers. We would all love to be connected at a high level and if we had an unprecedented level of connection, that would cause a great deal of happiness.

Think right now about the things causing stress right now in your life. My guess is that one of the top 3 things causing stress in your life deals with human connection.

Imagine a future where those stressors dealing with human connection were reconciled and you lived a live that was fully authentic and fully connected to those around you. And with some of those relationships, you went beyond reconciliation and those relationships not only went well, but they thrived.

Would that bring you happiness? Joy? Excitement? Vigor?

How would that affect what you think is possible in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment