February 23, 2012

Belief Systems, Vision, and the Future

I had an amazing conversation with a friend recently about the connection between one's belief system and one's vision for the future.

A belief system is simply a set of beliefs each person has about oneself and the surrounding world. One's belief system started developing at a young age and continues to develop throughout one's lifetime.

A vision for the future is simply the life one says that one wants the future to look like. At its best, a vision for the future is something that brings great excitement to the person with the vision.

Oftentimes, the vision I say I have for my future is not yet in alignment with what is currently happening.

And I believe this has a lot to do with my belief system, even if tt may not be clear which part of my belief system is affecting the present future.

There are times when our belief system enables/encourages/facilitates our vision for the future and there are other times our belief system hinders/disables/discourages our future.

For example, if one's vision for the future were to have a very disciplined life, yet at the same time believed that one wasn't wired to be disciplined, the vision is unlikely to come about...

Unless the belief system could shift.

I believe one's belief system shifts the moment an impossible future is embraced and committed to.

So, if one has a vision of being disciplined, then the belief system conversation must shift. It must shift from "I am unable/unwilling to be disciplined." to "Not only could I be disciplined, I am committing to it."

It depends how passionate your vision for the future is. Along with "why" you have that vision for the future.

What are some components of your vision for the future?
Why do you have those components?
What if, in 3 months, all of those components could happen? 6 months? 1 year?
How would you feel?

Notice when your Belief System is enabling your future and when it is hindering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment