February 6, 2012

The kindle and progress

I recently purchased a kindle. I know I am a bit behind the curve on owning this amazing technology.


I wasn't sure if I would like not actually holding a physical book and being able to underline and physically write notes on the pages of the book...


I was definitely wrong about myself.


Sometimes we have to take risks, even small ones ($100 is obviously not a huge risk), to find ourselves. And at times we find out we were wrong about ourselves. Which, in this case and in many others, is full of excitement and has the potential to really broaden our horizons and possibilities for our lives.


My favorite thing about the kindle is the % progress in the bottom right hand corner. 


I rarely fall asleep reading. Rarely. 


And then last night, I kept going for 1% more, and then once I got there, I thought, how about 1% more? And I kept going until I was afraid I would fall asleep and drop my new friend, er, kindle, and it would break. So I set it down, effortlessly slipping from the book into my dreams.


I know where I am going. I am going to see the bottom right hand corner say 100%. I am so excited about the possibility of getting there that I keep pushing and stretching myself.


This is why the kindle has been so successful. It is so much like life. 


If we are clear on what our 100% is. 


If our vision is compelling and crystal clear, we will continually find ways to make it happen, no matter what it takes, at all costs.


The 100% may be big (lifetime achievement stuff)? And it may also be small - something today or even in your next conversation.


It's about having it happen rather than figuring it out.


By the way, I'm currently at 8% reading "Born to Run."

No comments:

Post a Comment