February 4, 2012

I hope you are smarter

Today, as I was reading a book while out on a beautiful walk, I had this thought about writing...

I believe that those who write should write in such a way that their writing facilitates the reader becoming smarter than the author.

I know this may seem somewhat ridiculous, considering how knowledgeable an author is about his/her subject matter.

Yet I don't think it is out of the question.

Often times when I am reading content, it is new to me. And so I have a different experience when I am reading it than the author had when writing it. Assuming that when the final draft comes out, the information is no longer new to the author.

And that unique experience that happens when interacting with the information can cause the reader to do a number of different things such as

  • inspire them to read more on the subject matter
  • pull the information together from different angles to get an advanced meaning from it
  • pull together information from the current book with other knowledge and experience from the readers life and draw further conclusions that may be more advanced than the original author
  • spark unprecedented ideas in the readers mind
  • etc.
I am not sure where all of this leaves us as writers. Yet I know I would be honored if my writing in any way inspired a reader to excel in any area of life, hopefully to the point that it far surpasses where I am currently at with the content (if they have not already surpassed me prior to reading what I have to say).

Isn't that what life is all about? 

Inspiring people to be great, no matter who gets the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment