February 8, 2012

Vision and Discipline

I had struggled with discipline for almost the first 29 years of my life.

There were times in there that I was discipline, but I was in no way considered a "disciplined" person.

My desk, room, bathroom, car, life, bags, laptop bag, book bag, etc...all were very undisciplined in the fact that they were unorganized and at times messy.

And the thing that frustrated me the most was that my life was not "on point." I was not clear what I was up to each day.

Up until then, if someone would have asked me what my mission and vision statements were for my life, I would have been able to say a few things, but honestly, not with clarity, excitement, and commitment.

I realized that when my life intent is not clear and compelling. When it is not something I look at and get ecstatic about, well, then my discipline in life is lacking.

And the result of my life being clear and compelling is a number of the following things have shown up in my life in the past 2 months:
  • My desk, dresser, and room have been clean nearly every night before I went to bed.
  • I have blogged and average of 6 days a week.
  • I have journaled 15 minutes a day, 6 days a week.
  • I have planned out each day the night before.
  • I have taken numerous risks that were in line with my vision.
  • A handful of other disciplines.
None of these things were present until I was clear about what I was committed to and ecstatic thinking about having it happen.

If you are struggling with discipline, ask yourself, "What would it take for my mission and vision to be clear and compelling, to the point where my discipline would naturally follow?"










No comments:

Post a Comment