December 20, 2011

With Vision comes Discipline

My friends have taught me a lot about the necessary connection between vision and discipline.

If you know me at all, you know that historically I am not a very disciplined person.

Up until now.

What I have learned that if I am struggling with discipline, it is probably linked to the reality that my vision isn't laser point specific, crystal clear, and incredibly compelling.

If it were, I would then discipline myself, i.e. orient the world in and around me, to achieve that vision.

Where there is a clear vision, the discipline follows.

It must.

In fact, the reality is: we are all disciplined.

For some of us, the discipline is that which enables us to avoid being disciplined.

I could write a book on this as I was a leading scientist in this field for nearly 29 years.

And if we are all disciplined, then we all have a vision.

For some of us, the vision is to be disciplined at not being disciplined.

Some of us have developed quite a skill for this over many years of a commitment to a lack of discipline.

To summarize:
We all have a vision.
We are all disciplined towards something.

The question is: are you liking what you are seeing?
Either way, you are choosing to be there. Yes, you.

Blaming others is simply another vision and another form of discipline.
And so is accepting responsibility and choosing a new path.

No comments:

Post a Comment