December 17, 2011

Gift Giving

Up until now in life, I have had a habit of waiting until the last minute to figure out what gift I am going to give someone on a particular occasion.

And, as you can imagine, as I am writing this now exactly 1 week before Christmas, this habit has somewhat crept up on me again.

Or have I chosen to wait until the last minute?

Often, I struggle with this whole gift giving thing.

At times, I outright dislike it.

It has, at times, turned into just buying a bunch of stuff.

And I don't like the idea of that.

I am realizing that gift giving can and should take time. Not necessarily time getting the gift, but mostly time thinking about the person to whom you are giving a gift.

From now on, I am committing to choosing to spend time thinking about the person I am buying a gift for, and thinking about what I could buy them or make them that would bring joy to their life.

Rather than simply asking them what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment