December 14, 2011

Cheese and Change



So, yesterday, Sarah and I went to the Cheeseboard.

The cheeseboard is a wonderful place here in Berkeley that has exotic cheeses from around the globe.

They also make fantastic pizza's and pecan sticky buns and the atmosphere is like an invitation to a place you have never been however you know all the people.

Sarah and I were feeling adventurous so we went to try some new cheese.

If you know me at all, you know I like one cheese. Sharp cheddar.

As you can imagine, the invitation at a place like this is to broaden your horizons and allow your palette to discover new tastes that you were previously unaware of.

But as I mentioned, I like sharp. cheddar.

And so I tried some other cheeses.

And it was weird at first, as I let the unique cheeses melt on my tongue as I absorbed the flavors, my mind was telling me frantically, (in the character of an old man resistant to change), "David, this is not sharp cheddar; what is this, it's not sharp cheddar; what is this...oh, oh, that was, that was kind of good...I wonder if I could like it...no, no, no, it is not sharp cheddar; I can't possibly like it."

Welcome to my world.

I wonder how often I am resistant to the unprecedented, the unknown, the uncertain because I am stuck in how things are; all the while unaware of a world that might exist. A world I have already given up on.

Now I know this may be a bit of a stretch from cheese, but it really got me thinking.

I find the risk worth the possibility of discovering those cheeses that are so savory they cause me to expand my vocabulary simply to describe their character

I wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment