December 30, 2011

Scarcity and Abundance

This is a shorter blog post that I am going to expand on in the very near future.

I believe there are numerous ways to look at life.

One of those ways - I have been reading about lately - is the idea of scarcity and abundance.

Scarcity is being insufficient for the demand.
Abundance is having a very large quantity of something.

These definitions are very intriguing to me especially when considering my responses to the world around me.

Oftentimes when I respond, it feels as if by default. That is just the way I respond and that is that.

According to the definitions, that response is a mindset of scarcity. There are not other options. The options are limited. There are not enough options to meet the demand.

Lately I have been trying out the abundance mindset, and it has proven much more resourceful.

With this mindset, I realize in almost all situations, there are numerous ways I can respond. There is a "very large quantity" of options that I can access if I think about it, and choose something other than my default.

Being in command of my life and knowing my vision facilitates my ability to weigh those options quickly, in real time, and choose the option that is in line with the person I want to be and the difference I want to make in the world.

In the end, it is all about my commitment. If I am not getting the result I want, I realize there are infinite other ways to try next time...until I get the result I want and my vision is actively being fulfilled.

Or I could just keep defaulting on my responses, blaming the world around me for my frustrations, wondering why I am so frustrated, saying I don't know what I am doing, etc., and then repeating that formula until I decide I want something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment