January 24, 2012

Imagining a new future

I hear this quite a bit in my coaching, "I don't know what else to do, I have tried everything."

I, personally, love hearing this phrase.

Typically because there is a bit of a desperation, a longing, a hope that has yet to be realized.

I wouldn't have "tried everything" if I wasn't hoping for a particular outcome.

Yet, when I hear that phrase, I know a turning point is coming. I know that when I hear that phrase that the client wants a result they don't yet have. (and are starting to believe is not possible)

The turning point hinges on whether or not they are going to go all in and get committed to their desired outcome or continue blaming circumstances as to why their life can't be the way they want it.

This turning point is huge.

It is the difference between having a future that is a cyclical version of the past where nothing ever works out the way I want it to...

and...

A future where I get committed at all costs to having my life turn out the way I intend for it to.

The future I am committed will not come about without

Imagination
Creativity
Risk
Mystery
Uncertainty
Forgiveness

It just depends on what future you want. For me, the above list sure beats the alternative

Predictability
Monotony
Bitterness
Victim Mentality
Certainty

You get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment