January 24, 2012

A humbling question

What are you not committed to, only because you believe it cannot be done?

This question, taken from Tracy Goss' book The Last Word on Power, is one of the most sobering of questions that I have come across.

It sets my mind free to dream as if I were given a new porsche to drive along the canyon roads near my house.

I drive and at almost every corner I come go around, I feel the tires grip the road and my mind grips idea upon idea. I discover and rediscover things that I have left undone because I was afraid it could not be done.

And once in a while, fear sets in. The rain sets in, and the porsche slides around a corner as I take my eyes of the road, seemingly looking; hoping for more clarity; secretly hoping for a "secure" path where I will get to do what I love and make a lot of money and be successful without having to take any risks.

As I keep looking for something that doesn't exist, the heaviness of heart is felt. It is visceral. My porsche slides off the road and stops just before tumbling over the canyon.

I keep thinking, where does this courage come from? To take on the risks that lie ahead, knowing that failure is guaranteed and that success is the miracle we all long for.

I haven't found it yet. But I will.

The only way not to find it is to get out of the car and walk away.

The sound of a porsche engine turning over never sounded so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment