March 19, 2012

Becoming a Hero

I have been thinking a lot about heroism the past several days.

And to be honest, it is because a close friend was honest with me and shared that she thought I was doing some things in my life because I want to be seen as the hero.

That type of honest feedback can give a mind quite a bit to think about.

This thought came to me this morning:

You don't become a hero by trying to be a hero. You cannot deem yourself a hero. You naturally become a hero when the people you interact with experience freedom. You become a hero when the person you speak with next experiences the freedom to be themselves when they are with you.

It has much more to do with your impact than your intent.

One may intend to be a hero. Yet if one doesn't have the impact of freedom, one must ask oneself the question "What am I being a hero towards?" "What is the intent of my heroism?"

If the impact of one's intended heroism is not setting others free, it is possible that it is actually enslaving them. Because if I am trying to be a hero for my own sake, then I must use others to attempt to prove to myself and others that I am hero.

On the other hand, if I go about life in such a way that sets others free, then the focus is not really about me anyways. I will not be concerned with being the hero. I will not be worried as to whether or not people think of me as amazing. I will simply care that they are free.

I wonder how I got here. To a place where I am more committed to being a hero than I am committed to seeing others come alive.

Regardless of how I got here, the shift happens now.

Who do you focus on more each day? Yourself or the lives you long to impact?


No comments:

Post a Comment