February 19, 2011

We need you, really


Each of us has art.

You have art. You may not believe me. And that is okay. But just journey with me for a moment.

I'm not talking painting, drawing, or sculpting...

I agree with Seth Godin when in his book Lynchpin he writes that art is anything that is creative, passionate, and personal; affects both the creator and the viewer; and is about intent and communication rather than substances.

Godin writes, "An artist is someone who uses bravery, insight, creativity, and boldness to challenge the status quo." and "Art is a personal gift that changes the recipient."

And then I had this thought that if, for instance, Blake Mycoskie, had never existed, we would never experience shoes the same way. If Michelangelo had never existed, we would never be able to experience the sistine chapel the same way. If Peter Drucker had never existed, we wouldn't experience Management the same way. If Steve Jobs had never existed, we wouldn't experience computing the same way.

And so my question is this: What is the world not experiencing because you are not courageous enough to create it into existence?

Because if you are not practicing and honing your art, then we can never be inspired by it.

And we need you to inspire us. 

I wonder what might be holding you back?

If you would, I'd love for you to share with me what your art is. If you are unsure, I'd love to help you discover it. Contact me. Really.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave

    My art is pulling music, poetry, literature, and other art forms from as wide an array of sources as possible--showing them to people in hopes that they'll resonate with at least part of it. And maybe they'll even notice that it's all drenched in the presence of the same God--throughout time and across cultures.

    Maybe they'll find that God's presence and beauty isn't limitted to a particular style or background. There are these gems out there from a million places. I love showing them to people as a gift. Maybe they'll connect with it and through it, admire--and worship--the God behind it all.

    Like right now I'm looking through these gems of texts and music that have been associates with the season of Lent. It's wild--people just don't really write text or music like this anymore. Everything is always happy or sad. There is no in-between. There's all this Lenten music that includes the extreme joys, the gut-wrenching sorrows, and everything in-between.

    ReplyDelete